The National Association of Women and the Law (NAWL) is an incorporated not-for-profit feminist organization that promotes the equality rights of women in Canada through legal education, research, and law reform advocacy.
NAWL is entering an exciting period, organizationally, with strong funding, an energized staff team, an engaged Board – and clear strategic direction as it nears its 50th anniversary. This is the perfect time to be joining the organization, it is the perfect time to help NAWL make some noise!
NAWL is seeking applications from qualified individuals for the position of Head of Communications.
- Architect and manage the cross-organization communications strategy for NAWL
- Collaborate with the Executive Leadership team at NAWL to develop a cohesive executive communications strategy, including key talking points, presentations and speeches
- Consult with NAWL’s fundraising committee and collaborate with the Executive Leadership team to implement aspects of NAWL’s fundraising strategy
- Plan and execute op-eds, press releases, content marketing (across social media channels) and provide support for funding proposals, reports and public legal education materials.
- Create, execute, and manage NAWL’s content strategy:
- Ensure effectiveness of NAWL’s website as a communication tool
- Author NAWL’s newsletter to supporters, and proactively identify enhancements and improvements to existing supporter communications
- Create social media posts across channels
- Author articles that advance NAWL’s law reform initiatives
- Support video script development
- Support ongoing communication and reporting with NAWL’s funders and donors
- Grow audiences and oversee conversion metrics
- Manage paid social campaigns (Google Ads, Facebook, IG, LinkedIn)
- Manage inbound media requests
- Identify and collaborate with content partners and creator communities
- Plan and execute creative campaigns internally and with external agencies, as budget allows:
- Identifying marketing objectives
- Writing key messages for various audiences and marketing channels
- Identifying audience segments and appropriate marketing channels
- Budgeting for digital advertising campaigns
- Developing timelines for related communications activities
- Define targets to measure success
- Ensure branding standards are met in all publications, distributed materials, and office communications
- Stoke excitement for the issues we’re passionate about, for the importance of feminist law reform advocacy and help us be seen and heard by women across Canada and on Parliament Hill on issues affecting women’s substantive equality
- Other duties as assigned
Law, gender studies and/or journalism/communications degree preferred
6-8 years’ experience in communications, feminist policy, journalism, law or academia will be considered an asset. Equivalencies will be considered.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- This is a bilingual position; proficient written and oral communication skills in either French or English and functional ability in the other is required
- Demonstrable work experience with marketing campaigns and web technologies, such as websites, online tools and social media
- Editorial background (journalism, editing, proofreading)
- Feminist, intersectional and gender equality subject matter expertise
- Experience working with feminist or social justice organizations
- Have an extensive knowledge of Canada’s media ecosystem, especially as it relates to feminist law and policy in Canada
- Canadian legal policy expertise or knowledge is strongly preferred
- Exceptional communication, written and spoken; able to participate in team brainstorming and design feedback sessions, and obtain required information when necessary
- Self-reflective, passion for our mission and aligned with NAWL values
This position is a full-time two (2) year contract, with an anticipated start date of February 14th, 2022 and with the possibility of renewal.
- A competitive salary range: $65,000-$80, 000
- Job sharing may be considered
- Competitive benefits package, including:
- Eligibility to join NAWL’s Group Insurance Plan
- RRSP contributions
- Annual Cost of Living adjustment
- Competitive vacation and personal day policy
- The NAWL office is located in Ottawa,on the traditional, unceded territories of the Algonquin Anishnaabeg People.
- You must be eligible to work in Canada and available to work during business hours in Eastern Time, but we are open to discussing the possibility of you setting up your office anywhere you have reliable power and internet! Remote and/or flex work arrangements within ground travel distance to Ottawa is strongly preferred since advocacy on Parliament Hill is our focus.
- COVID- 19 related precautions are practiced in the NAWL office.
- There may be exciting travel opportunities, within Canada, involving consciousness-raising activities, feminist organizing and/or issues campaigning.
HOW TO APPLY:
Apply as early as possible. Applications will be reviewed and interviews scheduled on a rolling basis. Please send a letter of interest (that specifically addresses how your skills and experience meet the qualifications required of this position) and cv to the attention of the Executive Director at email@example.com. Please ensure you put “Head of Communications” in the subject line of the email. While NAWL Is thankful to all applicants for submitting their candidacy for this position, only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
NAWL is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. NAWL is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all areas of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation during the hiring process, please make your needs known in advance. Accommodation requests will be provided on an individual basis.
Research tells us that male-identified candidates apply to jobs when they meet less than 60% of the criteria, women and members of other historically marginalized groups, however, tend to only apply when they have 100% of the qualifications. If you do not have all of the qualifications listed above, we encourage you to apply anyway!